top of page

I've Been Storing Maple Syrup Wrong My Entire Life!



Think that pricey maple syrup in your pantry is going to last forever?

Imagine my SHOCK when I found MOLD, dusty dirty MOLD in my maple syrup on Sunday morning!


There I was with my fresh hot stack with the butter making its famous puddle in the middle of my HOT cakes and I reached for the pure maple syrup, unscrewed the top, began to tilt the jar and saw what appeared as a film of dirt in the glass bottle... the tune I had been humming for the past 20 minutes suddenly stopped, and my heart sank! My once in a blue-moon Sunday breakfast was OVER!


Indeed, even the biggest maple syrup lovers will rarely use a whole container all at once. When unopened, pure maple syrup has a long shelf life. But once it's opened, the exposure to oxygen means that your syrup will start to deteriorate. So what do you do with the rest of an open container? According to Erin Lynch, an expert from Maple from Canada, there are two simple rules for keeping maple syrup once it's open. First, avoid prolonged open-air exposure. Second, keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

There's science behind this storage method. According to a study conducted at Ohio State University's College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, the three main enemies of maple syrup are air, time, and temperature.


Even if the container hasn't been opened, the university researchers recommend placing your maple syrup in the refrigerator immediately after purchase. "If this is not possible, consider freezing the syrup," states the report.


Maple syrup packaged in tin or glass can be stored for up to one year in the refrigerator in its original container. But because plastic 'breathes,' the OSU experts advise repackaging an unopened or opened plastic syrup bottle into a glass jar if you plan to store it for more than three months.


"If excess water is present, or if containers are not clean when filled, bacteria, yeast, or mold may grow during storage," the study says. "Do not simply remove the mold and reheat the product. Some microorganisms produce toxins as they grow, and these toxins could make you sick. The product should be <